- Attorney Bio
- Practice Areas
- Bar Admissions
- Recent Representative Experience
- Community Involvement
Tom practices primarily in the areas of commercial and consumer banking, government, real estate and general business transactions. He regularly represents lenders, businesses, private equity funds and borrowers with structuring and documenting commercial transactions, including commercial real estate and asset-based loans. Tom also advises financial institutions with commercial loan workouts, foreclosures, bankruptcies and other creditors’ rights issues.
Tom’s focus also includes representing a variety of corporate, governmental and non-profit clients in all aspects of the disposition, acquisition, leasing, finance and development of residential, retail, commercial and mixed-use properties and has helped attract and utilize various incentives for those projects. Thomas has recently worked on a number of affordable housing and redevelopment projects funded by, among other things, New Markets tax credits, HOME and CDBG funds, LIHTC equity, tax increment, and other project-based subsidies.
Tom also serves as corporate counsel and board secretary for an international joint venture specializing in the manufacture of copper rod and wire.
Tom holds a bachelor degree from Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, where he graduated with distinction. He graduated from Tulane Law School in New Orleans, Louisiana with the degree of Juris Doctor.
Legal Assistant: Michelle Birk
- Indiana, 2001
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 2001
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 2001
- Indiana State Bar Association: Member
- Allen County Bar Association: Member, Real Estate Section
Recent Representative Experience
- Represented lender in a $90 million unsecured term and revolving credit transaction to a regional manufacturer of goods.
- Represented borrower in a $60 million syndicated secured term and revolving credit facility transaction with a national banking association.
- Represented direct and leverage source lender in a $39 million downtown development project in Fort Wayne, Indiana, funded in part with federal and state tax credit equity.
- Represented borrower in a $34 million secured term and revolving credit transaction with a national banking association.
- Represented lender in a $20 million secured revolving transaction to a national manufacturer of goods.
- Represented lender in a $14 million secured construction loan for a 124-unit multifamily housing development.
- Represented developer of a boutique hotel in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana, in connection with the financing of the project, the acquisition of the project site, and the assemblage of incentives.
- Represented Byron Health Center in connection with the financing of its $30 million assisted living and skilled nursing facility, the acquisition of the project site, and the assemblage of incentives, including New Markets tax credits.
- Represented an assisted living and skilled nursing facility in connection with a $34 million development project funded, in part, with new markets tax credit equity.
- Represented municipality with affordable housing project in Southeast Fort Wayne using HOME and NSP funds.
- Represented municipality with the development of a prominent mixed-use commercial and multi-family affordable residential project.
- Represented Gas Station/Convenient Store Operator in securing a special use permit to conduct a gas station operation in a limited commercial zoning district.
- Represented Board of Commissioners in securing variance and contingent use permit for a communications tower in Adams County, Indiana.
- Represented developer in rezoning bare ground to limited commercial along major thoroughfare in Allen County, Indiana.
- Represented owner-operator in securing a special use permit to conduct a recycling center and transfer station in Whitley County, Indiana.
- Represented owner-operator in securing a special use permit to conduct an auto salvage operation in Allen County, Indiana.
- Represented owner of bare ground along major thoroughfare in Steuben County, Indiana in subdividing land for commercial purposes.
- Represented owner of 160 acres of farmland in securing a special exception to conduct a hunting club operation in Noble County, Indiana.
- Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year, Real Estate Law, 2019
- AV Preeminent® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected for Inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers, 2018-2019
- Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America®
- Selected for Inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2009-2011 and 2013-2016
- 40 Under 40 Honoree, Fort Wayne Business Weekly, 2014
- Top Lawyer, Fort Wayne Monthly, 2014-2015
- National Philanthropy Day 2017, Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser, Riverfront Development
- Turnstone Center for Children and Adults with Disabilities, Inc.: Board Chair (Present)
- Blessings in a Backpack, Inc.: Member, Board of Directors (2012-Present)
- Headwaters Junction, Inc.: Member, Board of Directors; Vice President (Present)
- Fort Wayne Riverfront Advisory Committee: Member (Present)
- Northeast Indiana Fund, Inc.: Member, Board of Directors (Present)
- Fort Wayne Community Schools Foundation, Inc.: Member, Board of Trustees (Present)
- Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership, Vision 2030 Founding Co-Chair
- Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne, Inc.: Member, Board of Directors; Board Secretary (2011-2017)
- Fort Wayne Redevelopment Commission: Commissioner (2013-2016)
- Amani Family Services, Inc.: Past President
- Erin’s House for Grieving Children, Inc.: Past President and Honorary Director
- Holy Cross Lutheran Church: Past President
- Mustard Seed Furniture Bank of Allen County, Inc.: Past President
- Indiana State Bar Association, Leadership Development Academy: Guest Panelist
- Notre Dame Law School: Guest Lecturer
- 2013 Boston Marathon, Qualifier and Participant
- Men’s Varsity Swimming Team, Indiana University, 1994-1998 (Team Captain 1998)
- Academic All-Big Ten, 1994-1998